Many people believe that organic and natural beauty and hair products are safer than those that contain synthetic chemicals. Unfortunately, determining the safety of these products is not that easy. For starters, the Food and Drug Administration does not have a very concrete definition for the term ‘organic’.
Everything on earth consists of chemicals. You can talk about organic products, yet these also contain chemicals. So-called ‘organic’ and ‘natural’ hair color formulas will still include synthetic ingredients as part of the manufacturing process.
In other words, there is no such thing as an organic hair dye. Moreover, hair color formulas do not need to be organic or natural for them to be safe.
What is important is for consumers to be knowledgeable about the different kinds of chemicals. As much as possible, it is best to stay away from products that contain harsh chemicals. They can include ammonia, gluten, PPD, resorcinol, phthalates, and parabens. These substances can damage your hair.
A better alternative will be to look for hair color formulas that have at least 95 percent natural ingredients. From antioxidants to humectants, conditioners, solvents, and viscosity builders, they must comprise at least 95% of the formulation. The remaining 5% can be synthetic actives.